- Facility’s type: Hotel****
- Situation : Rennes / Brittany ; urban
- Capacity : 24 chambres rooms (50 sleeps)
- Labels : european ecolabel
- Opening dates : all year
- Welcome Booklet + Notice of good practices + Game Coq-Ethik (travaler’s awareness)
- Velo Star for PDE (eco-mobility)
- Soap dispenser + ESAT (waste management)
- Apple seed cosmetics (waste management) (local developpement)
- Local Recruitment + Fire alarms for the hearing-impaired! (social responsability)
- Laundry trapdoor (social responsability) (construction and lay out)
- Solar pannel (energy)
- Systematic use of local, seasonal and (as much as possible) organic products (agriculture and catering)
- New bulding matching HQE standards + the spa design and practices have been revisited (new cosmetic products, etc) (construction and lay out)
- February 2014 : First outing for the Hopineo team, meeting with Véronique Bregeon.
- Tour de France 2014 (july) : Hopineo team studied the hotel’s marketing strategy that combines luxury and ecology.
Lecoq-Gadby, pioneer of sustainable tourism in Brittany and in Francee
Founded 110 years ago, Lecoq-Gadby was one of the first hotel to get an ecological label in France.
The hotel consists of two buildings :
- The one called “Tradition” has 9 charming rooms which were gradually equipped to progess towards the eco label standards ;
- The second part has been totally ecologically conceived in 2008. It meets the HQE standards and has 15 rooms and a nice spa, which organization has been revisited to meet responsible tourism requirements.
Véronique Bregeon and her husband own the hotel. She’s a figure of sustainable tourism in Brittany and France. She has been working for more than 20 years on the hotel’s sustainability and created the “Coq-Ethik” game. It’s a Snakes and Ladders (goose game in France) revisited to explain the hotel’s sustainable commitment and educate kids and adults about very simple good practices. You have to cut the dice and the pieces from a simple sheet of paper to be able to play. The “Coq-Ethik” game was so successful that the SNCF (French train company) and the regional tourism committee (CRT) used it for a campaign during the Easter holidays 2012. Since then, the CRT has been promoting the game for most of the accommodation sites which have an ecological label in Brittany.
The hotel’s owners also implemented the cultural festival Les Coquecigrues. It promotes the local heritage.
In short, the Lecoq-Gadby Hotel is a great way to discover how to balance luxury and sustainability. An example to follow.